Thursday, January 13, 2011


Today I was sitting at physical therapy with my feet in the whirlpool, contemplating the fact that it really doesn’t whirl at all.  Perhaps it is not called a whirlpool, sometimes I can create a small whirlpool by how I position my foot near the jet, but for the most part there is no whirl.

Change

As I stared the bubbles and the flow of water I began to think about change.  When I quit drinking I went to Al-anon  for a bit and I had a book I think it’s title was  “Courage to Change”  I thought maybe I could do a teleclass or discussion group on change and what it takes to change. The book as I remember was full of stories and daily affirmations, that is not what I wanted but similarly, my goal would be to make change less scary.  Yes scary I had decided that people find change scary and these people usually believe they do not have courage, or certainly not the courage to change. 

At that time, my ear started ringing, I remember that because it startled me and I realized how odd I must have looked hunched over staring at the water, my thoughts quickly shifted to: “do you think I could stand in this small tub?” and “They must use this just for feet.”

Awareness

The courage to gain awareness.  I know that sounds strange, but if you do not need courage to become aware, why aren’t we all aware? 

I am not referring to common awareness such as: “I am aware that I have a keen sense of smell today” but awareness as in “my actions are mine and mine alone” or  “my spouse seems upset, rather than take it personally, how can I help”  or “how can I be a better role model for my kids in day to day life” and my favorite “Oh I just sounded awfully bitchy, how can I make that better rather than make it grow”.  

Awareness. 

Sometimes I think if we brought awareness to a situation, rather than our ego, we would be a lot happier.

Becoming aware is easy to start, just pay attention to your words, actions, and reactions. It may be easier to   start with one.  This week I am going to focus on my reactions. What will you chose?





No comments:

Post a Comment