Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Couldn't decide what to write about next.  I have about 8 saved partially written posts, all of which at some point or another seemed unfit to post here. 

I was standing just outside of a drum circle today, wondering why I never have the balls to take a seat and play, when it hit me.  Write about this.......

What is this you ask?  A Respite Camp - for a local Hospice-  3 hours of pure positive energy and love. 

I remember receiving the email telling me about the camp and asking if I would like to volunteer my services for it.  At first I remember thinking it was not something I was good enough to participate in.  After a couple of weeks and some clearing of old beliefs, I decided to tell them I would love to participate.

When they came back and said they would like me to do card readings I was shocked and thrilled. As you are aware I recently came out of the card reading closet (sort of) and I was thinking they would want Reiki.  I trusted that if the cards were what they wanted then it was meant to be and I would just go with it. Just in case though I bought little angel tokens to give out, that way if I sucked at least they had something tangible to walk away with.  I am truly awesome at doubting myself! 

About a month passed and my confidence grew, until Sunday night.  I was a little releved that the event for Monday was canceled, I cannot lie about that, but the cancellation also let me feel disappointed and that disappointment recharged my desire to participate.

While listening to the drumming, I was noticing how eventually the sounds blended and sounded awesome. A child would pick up a tamborine or a clanker or a rain stick and the music was just fabulous.  Everyone there was either playing or participating by enjoying it. 

I realized I was standing with beautiful people. All giving of their time to bring some peace to families who really really needed it. 

One of the volunteers I spoke to works out of the hospital, it is her job to meet with family members of a patient and make their lives a little normal and fun, not just a calendar of appointments and child care.  I started to think about that a lot.  I started to think about what the kids must feel like when a sick sibling is getting all the attention and how it might make them feel.  Then I looked around at all of their smiling faces and was really touched.  I was honored to be there, to be a part of it. 

The turn out was not huge at first so I hung out with the art therapist and helped her prep and work with a couple of kids.  I also talked with other volunteers and listen to a wonderful story teller and met a blind rescue dog. 
 
I was fine just being there, whether or not anyone was interested in a reading or a Reiki session. 

By the end of the time, I had done 2 readings and will be returning another day this week to do a couple more.

Both clients had never had a reading and wanted information about what it was all about.  They also asked for information on Reiki.  I realized as I was talking that I was doing just what I dreamed I would be doing last January. It was quite a day.

I am honored to have been a part of the camp and am grateful for being trusted by the 2 people I read for their strength is an inspiration. 

I am thankful for the opportunity to participate in things like this.
I am thankful for my broken ankle which slowed me down enough to learn things I may not have otherwise. 
I am thankful for my families health. 

Among other things I am having trouble articulating, something I learned today is: 

When you treat a bubble like a bubble it is not trouble at all it is just a bubble. It is when you treat it like it is something else that the trouble begins (Jay O'Callahan)



OK now to just press the publish post button. 

2 comments:

  1. Now was that so hard??? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad it turned out well for you! I know you were excited about the chance!

    ReplyDelete